Thursday, January 8, 2015

My Last Quilt of 2014...A Baby Boy Quilt

Happy New Year!!! 

I realized this week that the last few months of 2014 were so hectic that I didn't have a chance to post my last quilt of 2014. It was created for my cousin and her new baby boy, Mitchell. Using 5 inch squares and 2.5 inch strips, I organized fabrics around on the design wall until I felt the colors were balanced.

The finished quilt was about 40 by 44 inches. My favorite part is the sweet little bunny fabric I picked up at The Cloth Pocket here in Austin. It is called Furry Tales in Minty from the Littlest collection by AGF Studio. I coordinated the rest of the fabrics with that special print and I love how it came together from using fabrics I collected the past few years.

Some of the fabrics I used were: Carolyn Friedlander Hand Drawn Stripes in Charcoal, Alison Glass Sunprint Feathers in Teal, Joel Dewberry Wood Grain in Vintage Yellow, and Kona Silver.

Using leftover scraps, I dreamed up that Bunnyfish creature and two little crinkle sensory toys. I'm told by my cousin Nicole that babies loves those things. I think my cat would love a smaller version.

For the backing fabric, I picked out a teal minky fabric. I originally chose a dark gray but once I had the top sewn together I changed my mind. On the quilting, I did semi-random straight lines. Overall, I think the finished quilt is soft and sweet for a little newborn baby boy!

That closes up my quilts for 2014...can't wait to see what is in store for 2015!


No comments:

Post a Comment