Friday, December 13, 2013

Fraction Mug Rug

Do you remember that interactive fraction strip quilt I created this year? Well, I've been dying to make one on a smaller scale to try out some different color options before I make another large quilt. When the Austin Modern Quilt Guild had a white elephant mug rug exchange I thought it was the perfect opportunity to experiment since I truly believe mathematics is beautiful! There will be many more of these fraction mug rugs in the near future. So, I'll just leave you with a few photos of how it turned out.

Front
Back - I love how the patterns emerge!

I found a mug at Crate & Barrel that matched nicely.

It's free-motion quilted with gray and teal on a black backing fabric.

:-) I'm told that it went to a very mathematical family. 
I hope they do some problem solving over morning coffee! ;-)


2 comments: