Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mama's New Wave Quilt

Happy New Year! I thought I would start this year off with a blog post about the quilt I made for my mother. The quilt top is the New Wave Quilt Pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. I followed it mostly, but had to work with the fabric selection I purchased with my mom the last time I traveled to Illinois. So, I couldn't use 12 different fabrics for the quilt top. All in all, I think it turned out beautiful!
This quilt was made for my mother's bedroom and currently lives on her bed. It coordinates with her other bedding quite nicely. A little tricky to see, but the fabric is full of little insects...including my mother's favorite: the dragonfly! 
Designing the quilt back turned out to be a perfect math challenge for my time off! This collection of fabric had some panels that I cut apart and sewed back together and combined with some other pieces from the front. With my other leftover fabric, I'm going to make Mom a few pillowcases!
Here's my blueprint for the quilt back...lots of math and no calculator just to stay on my toes! 
My first time to free-motion quilt an entire quilt! 
 I sewed Mama a little message at the bottom. This photo shows my name, year and a little heart I stitched in there for good luck!
Here is my mother opening the quilt and she adored it! We had a wonderful time visiting...only wish she could have stayed longer!
I took one last photo before the quilt left my house. Luckily, it's in excellent hands! :)


4 comments: